If you want to easily share your current location with your Snapchat contacts, you can use so-called geofilters. If you are not satisfied with the existing works, you can even create your own geofilter.
Would you like to post a new snap but quickly add the current location in a visual form? This can be done using a geofilter. To be able to access them, the feature must first be activated in the settings of the Snapchat app.
Enable Snapchat geofilter
To do this, tap on the ghost symbol in the top bar and select the gear to access the settings of the Messenger app. In the “More options” area, select the “Set” option and activate the “Filter” item using the slider. If you take a photo now, you can then access existing geofilters by swiping to the left.
Technical requirements for a geofilter
While geofilters for events such as weddings or even companies can be created in the USA and other regions. For example, the function in rest of the world has so far been limited to cities, schools or even sights. If you want to create geofilters in Snapchat, you won’t be able to do this via the app, but via a special website . But first you have to create the corresponding graphic in an image editing program of your choice. However, it is imperative to adhere to some general conditions.
Format: PNG, save web optimized, transparency, PNG-24
Dimensions: 1080 pixels wide and 1920 pixels high
File size: maximum 300 kilobytes
Use a template as a template for the geofilter
Snapchat itself provides a corresponding template for download as both a PSD and an AI file . The template then only needs to be called up in supported software, such as Photoshop for PSD. When designing it depends on your own creativity. But when creating it, you should definitely follow the rules of Snapchat so that your geofilter has a chance to be published.
Keep these things in mind when creating a graphic
- The graphic created must be 100 percent original
- Logo and brand names are not permitted
- Exception: University and university logos submitted by a proxy
- Just like hashtags, photos are not allowed
- To increase the chances of acceptance, you should create visually meaningful filters
- Less is more: You shouldn’t take up too much blank space on the screen
- Make sure that the image is relevant to the location, as other users will also use the filter
- Make a good and detailed description of your filter
- The drawn geofence should only cover the relevant area and should not be too large
- Do not use entire countries or federal states, but stay local
- Instead, use a public space or a landmark for the geofilter
If you are satisfied with your work, you can upload it to the Snapchat website . Then you have to wait and see whether the service accepts your geofilter. You will be informed of this by email.